Traditional Chinese Medicine has been taking care of pregnant women for over 3000 years. Acupuncture offers an effective and safe drug free treatment option during pregnancy for many conditions.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is the complex and detailed understanding of the body’s energetic balance. Acupuncture has been used for thousands of years in China and eastern cultures to restore, promote and maintain good health. In particular, it can be used to improve fertility, treat conditions that can arise throughout pregnancy and stimulate the body’s natural healing abilities after giving birth.
With tools like Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture and Emotional Therapies I possess a number of skills that will help you with your emotional and physical concerns.
Want to find out more or make an appointment?
Fertility, Assisted Reproduction, Pregnancy and Postnatal Care
If you are having difficulties falling pregnant, acupuncture can help:
- regulate the menstruation cycle, in the case of irregular period or no period
- women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- produce a better egg quality and create a better embryo
- women suffering from endometriosis (reduced AMH & raised inflammatory cytokines)
- improve sleep and stress symptoms
- promote embryo implantation by regulating the immune system thus balancing the effect of natural killer cells (NK) and T cells
Assisted Reproduction (ART/IVF/ICSI etc)
For those undertaking assisted reproduction, acupuncture can be a beneficial supplement and helps:
- increase the blood supply to the uterus and ovaries
- regulate follicle stimulation hormone-receptor expression
- reduce stress by normalising cortisol and prolactin level on IVF medication days during the embryo transfer stage of in vitro fertilisation (IVF)
- reduce the side effects and discomfort at any stage of the medicated cycle
What to Expect
Each of these points results in increased pregnancy success and higher live birth rates.
The sessions are tailored to each woman’s cycle according to protocols used in clinical trials. Usually 1 or 2 sessions before egg retrieval, 1 before and after the embryo transfer, 1 session before the blood test result during the waiting time.
HealthDay Reporter Steven Reinberg writes:
“Heartburn, the main symptom (of indigestion), was reduced by half in 75 percent of the women treated with acupuncture. Women receiving acupuncture also ate and slept better”.
For the various conditions that may arise during pregnancy, acupuncture offers an effective and safe drug-free treatment.
The following conditions can be supported with acupuncture throughout your pregnancy:
- Anxiety & depression
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Heartburn (Dyspepsia)
- Intrauterine growth retardation
- IVF Support
- Lower back, neck, shoulder pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pregnancy induced hypertension
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Rib pain
- Sinus problems
- Symphysis pubis (pelvic girdle pain)
- Tiredness and exhaustion
- Varicose veins, haemorrhoids, vulval varicosities
- Vaginal itching
Acupuncture can also be used to treat conditions during specific phases of your pregnancy.
Up to 20 weeks:
Acupuncture has shown that it can help in preventing miscarriage and support the early stages of the pregnancy through its positive effect on the immune system, regulating stress and anti-inflammatory qualities. Acupuncture can also help relieve morning sickness.
From 33 weeks:
Acupuncture can turn the malpositioned baby (breech and posterior) and slow down early contractions.
From 36 weeks:
Research shows that acupuncture preparation reduces the amount of medical interventions, encouraging an easier labour. If medical intervention is needed, it allows a reduction in the amount of drugs needed.
During labour, acupressure (which is taught to your partner or birth support person) will help reduce pain, encourage efficient labour, aid the baby to descend, and promote efficient delivery of the placenta.
Acupuncture can help to treat postnatal problems such as:
- Insufficient lactation
- Wound healing and scar tissue repair
- Postnatal depression
- Urinary incontinence
- Dietary & lifestyle advice for a better recovery
- Uterine bleeding
Together with acupuncture, I possess a number of skills utilising Chinese Medicine, Emotional Therapies and the Tomatis® Method to help you with your emotional and physical concerns.
Links & Resources